Guilt-Free Mince Pies
Can a mince pie really be guilt-free? Watch this video to see how
- For the mince pie filling:
- 3 oranges
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250 grams of raisins
- 200 grams of cranberries
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of salt
- Coconut sugar for topping
- For the pastry:
- 100 grams of ground almonds
- 175 grams of buckwheat flour
- 3 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil
- 1 small pinch of salt
- 6 pitted Medjool dates
- 1 vanilla bean (scraped)
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- To make the filling:
- Zest one orange and juice all three.
- Scrape out the vanilla pod and place all the ingredients into a pot and simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes.
- To make the pastry:
- Place the ground almonds, flour, and salt into the food processor and blend.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (apart from the water) then slowly add the water so the pastry forms together.
- Grease 10-12 cupcake tins with butter or coconut oil and push the pastry mix into the bottom of the tins with your thumbs until it fills the sides (about 1/2 centimeters thick).
- Then place 1 tablespoon. of the mince mixture into each shell. Repeat this for all.
- With the rest of the pastry, roll it out between two baking paper sheets and cut out circular shapes to place on top of the mincemeat.
- Sprinkle over some coconut sugar to give it a nice sweet top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until crisp.