Honeycomb Crusted Shortbread
How to make honeycomb crusted shortbread.
- 225 grams plain flour
- 75 grams caster sugar
- 150 grams butter
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 150 grams dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180oC and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- To make the honeycomb, stir together the caster sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan. Cook over a medium/high heat until the mixture is a deep amber colour and then remove from the heat and rapidly whisk in the bicarbonate of soda. Pour the bubbling sugar onto the baking tray and leave to harden.
- Meanwhile, make the shortbread. Place the flour, caster sugar and butter into a food processor and pulse until the mixture begins to clump together. Pour out onto a large sheet of clingfilm.
- Place the hard honeycomb into the food processor and pulse until chopped into small pieces. Add half of the crushed honeycomb into the dough, knead briefly and then roll into a log and freeze for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice the dough into 14 rounds. Bake for 10-12 minutes and then leave to cool completely.
- Dip the edges of the shortbread into the melted chocolate and then into the remaining crushed honeycomb before allowing the set.