- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 cups dry white wine
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, tough stems removed, chopped
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon until crumbly, until just browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Toss in the onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. --Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the white wine and stir up the browned sausage bits from the bottom of the pan and reduce by half.
- Add the beans, broth, and tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes, until thickened.
- Add kale by large handfuls and cook for 5 minutes more, until soft.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and with garlic toasts.