Katsu Steak Sandwich
This deep fried katsu steak sandwich is here to make all your dreams come true
- 250g sirloin steak
- 40g Plain flour
- 50g Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 slices thick cut white bread
- For the tonkatsu sauce:
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- Serve with shredded crunchy leave such as chinese
- leaves or white cabbage
- Optional quick pickle cucumber:
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Get the steak to room temperature and season. Whilst you are waiting for this heat the oil in a deep pan to 180.
- Place the beef in the flour to coat, followed by the egg mix. Let any of the excess egg drip off then place in the panko breadcrumbs. Make sure that the steak is completely covered, if you need to, repeat the egg and breadcrumb stages.
- Place in the hot oil for about 2 minute so it is completely submerged. Take out of the oil and leave on kitchen paper to rest.
- Whilst the meat rests, mix the tonkatsu sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk. Make the quick pickle if having by cutting the cucumber into thin slices then mixing with the sugar and vinegar. Add in any other herbs you fancy.
- Spread the sauce onto the bread and top with the shredded leaves and cucumber.
- Add in the steak and cut the sandwiches into half so all the rare beef is shown.