Kim Kardashian Macaroni and Cheese
Can Kim K's legendary mac and cheese break the internet?
- 85 grams unsalted butter
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 750 milliliters whole milk, heated
- 1/2 onion, grated with large holes
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces pasteurized processed cheese (burger slices), broken into small pieces
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 60 grams goats cheese
- 15 grams gruyere cheese, grated
- 10 grams parmesan cheese, grated
- 30 grams mozzarella, grated
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 70 grams panko breadcrumbs
- Adapted from Celebuzz.com
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly butter a 9 × 13-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the elbow macaroni and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Do not overcook the macaroni as it will soften when baked. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and the dry mustard. Reduce the heat to low and let cook, but do not brown, whisking often, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the hot milk, being sure the mixture is smooth. Whisk in the grated onion, paprika, bay leaf and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking often. Raise the heat to medium low and simmer, whisking often, until the sauce is slightly reduced and the consistency of thick double cream, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Mix the burger slices, cheddar, goat cheese, Gruyere, mozzarella and parmesan together in a medium bowl. Add 3/4 of the cheese mixture to the sauce. Let stand for 1 minute, then stir until the cheeses melt. Season with salt and pepper to taste then stir in the beaten eggs. Add the macaroni and mix well. Spread in the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining cheese mixture.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the panko breadcrumbs and stir well. Sprinkle evenly over the macaroni mixture. Bake until the sauce is bubbling around the edges and the topping is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve hot.