This Middle Eastern treat is the perfect mix of sweet and savoury
- For the simple syrup
- 250 grams caster sugar
- 125 grams water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- For the knafeh
- 300 grams kadaifi pastry (shredded phyllo)
- 600 grams grated mozzarella
- 200 grams butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon orange food colouring powder
- 20 grams green pistachio slivers, roughly chopped
- Special equipment
- Latex gloves
- 11 inch glass flan dish
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Put the kadaifi pastry into a large mixing bowl and pull it all apart with your hands. Add in the orange food colouring - you might want to wear gloves - and mix this all through the pastry. Pour in the melted butter and mix well. Use 2/3rds of the pastry to line the bottom and sides of the flan dish. Press it down well, and leave an overhang so that you can fold it over once you’ve added the cheese.
- Put the grated mozzarella into the pastry lined dish and press it down flat. Fold the overhanging pastry over and use the remaining to cover the top. Press that down well, then bake for 30 minutes until crunchy on top and melted in the middle.
- Make the syrup
- While the knafeh is cooking, put the sugar, water and lemon juice into a saucepan over a low heat. Stir until the sugar has combined then let it come to a gentle simmer before turning off the heat.
- When the knafeh is cooked, sprinkle over the chopped pistachios and serve immediately with syrup poured on top.