Mac N Cheese Bolognese
Mac and cheese and bolognese had a food baby and it's beautiful.
- For the bolognese:
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra 2 tbsp
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1kg beef mince
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 100g tomato puree
- 700g passata
- 250ml dry red wine
- For the macaroni:
- 250g dried macaroni pasta
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 200g mature cheddar cheese, grated, plus extra 50g
- 200g mozzarella, grated, plus extra 75g
- 30g finely grated Parmesan, plus extra 10g
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Make the bolognese: Heat the 4 tbsps olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and mince, breaking up the mince with a wooden spoon. Cook for 8 minutes or until mince is lightly browned.
- Add celery, carrot, oregano and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in passata, wine and 500ml hot water.
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered with a lid, for 45 minutes.
- Make the macaroni: During the last 15 minutes of cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add pasta and cook according to the packet instructions until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put 2 tbsps olive oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat and add the flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbling. Add milk, a little at a time, stirring well after each addition. Only add more milk once the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan. Add the pasta and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 220-240 C.
- Spoon the macaroni mixture over bolognese.
- Scatter with extra cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan then cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden.