- 220 grams macaroni pasta
- 100 grams unsalted butter
- 90 grams plain flour
- 500 milliliters whole milk
- 120 grams cream cheese
- 90 grams grated cheddar
- 90 grams grated smoked cheddar
- 60 grams grated parmesan
- 1/2 tablespoon english mustard powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 6-8 slices of bacon
- 1 pack ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add flour to make a roux.
- Add the milk a bit at a time, whisking in between so it's smooth.Then stir in the cream cheese. When combined increase heat and add mustard and the paprika. Then add the cheddars and parmesan till completely melted and silky. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Pre cook the macaroni pasta, and when ready stir through the cheesey sauce. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and line a 9' pie dish with the pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 200C so it gets hot. Blind bake the pastry case for 12 minutes with baking beans and then remove the beans and bake again for 8 minutes.
- Fill the pastry case with the pasta and then line over four rashers of bacon lengthways, and the remaining four widthways over the top. Carefully plait the bacon oven and under each other so they lattice (weave).
- Grate over a bit of extra parmesan and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the bacon is crisp and the pastry is golden.