Mad Hatter Cake
Go through the looking glass and discover the wonderfully barmy Mad Hatter cake!
- 250 grams butter
- 250 grams caster sugar
- 250 grams self raising flour
- 200 grams (4) eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- 500 grams icing sugar
- 150 grams softened butter
- 60 milliliters milk
- 1 Vanilla pod
- Ganache Drips:
- 50 milliliters double cream
- 50 grams good quality dark chocolate
- Salted Caramel Popcorn: Decoration (optional):
- 50 grams popcorn Meringue Kisses
- 100 grams caster sugar Macarons
- 12 grams butter Chocolate Ruffles
- Pinch salt
- For the cake, melt the buttered mix in the caster sugar. Add the eggs and mix through, then the flour and vanilla until incorporated. Divide equally into 2 6 inch cake tins and bake at 180°C for 30-40 minutes until they are cooked through.
- For the buttercream, beat together the icing sugar, butter and milk and add the seeds from the vanilla pod. Keep beating until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Cut each cake into 2 layers so you have a total of 4 layers of cake.
- Put first layer onto a cake board or plate with a little buttercream underneath so it doesn't slip.
- Pipe or spread some buttercream onto the layer of cake and sandwich another layer of cake on top.
- Repeat until you get to the last layer of cake, turn the layer upside down to ensure the top is the flat part from the cake tin.
- Smother buttercream over the whole layered cake and scrape away the excess.
- Make the ganache by heating up the cream and mixing through the chocolate until it melts and is a smooth think mixture. If it looks like its splitting or too thick, add a little more cream.
- When its not too hot, pour over the cake and gently push the ganache over the sides and let it fall naturally.
- Now time to decorate the top like crazy!