- 4 eggs at room temperature, separated
- 170g caster sugar
- 115g butter, melted
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 100g plain flour
- 475ml lukewarm milk
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 140c. Line a 20x20cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light and fluffy- approx. 3 minutes with an electric beater. Add the butter and vanilla extract and continue beating for another minute then add the flour and mix it in until fully incorporated. Slowly add the milk and beat until everything is well mixed together.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form then gently fold into the cake batter. Pour the mixture into the baking tin and bake for 50 minutes or until the top is lightly golden but there is a slight wobble when you shake the tin. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tin.
- To serve: Remove from the tin and cut into 9 squares then dust liberally with icing sugar.