Malteser Millionaire's Shortbread
To all the Malteser fan out there, this is a next level Malteser Millionaire Shortbread!
- For the shortbread:
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tbsp malt powder
- 175g unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 75g caster sugar
- For the topping:
- 175g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 60g golden syrup
- 40g malt extract
- 400g condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 3 x 93g bags of Maltesers
- 400g milk chocolate
- For the shortbread layer:
- Preheat the oven to 150 C.
- Line a 23cm x 28cm rectangular cake tin with baking parchment.
- Combine the flour, malt powder and butter cubes in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in the caster sugar and pulse again until combined.
- Tip the mixture into the lined cake tin and spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon. Then press the shortbread down firmly with your knuckles so that it is tightly packed in the tin.
- Bake the shortbread for 30 minutes or until very light golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- For the caramel layer:
- Put the butter and sugar in a wide, heavy-based pan with the syrup, malt extract, condensed milk and salt, and heat gently, stirring to melt the butter.
- Bring to a simmer and continue to cook for about 10-15 minutes, until thick and fudgy.
- Pour over the shortbread and smooth with a palette knife, then begin to press the Maltesers into the caramel in a layer until the caramel is covered - you should have some left over.
- Leave to set.
- For the chocolate layer:
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water or in a microwave, and spread evenly over the set caramel. Crush the leftover Maltesers and sprinkle over the top of the chocolate.
- Leave until solid, then turn out and cut into squares to serve.