McDonalds Style Apple Pie
Everyone loves a McDonald's apple pie but did you know you can make them at home?
- 450g plain flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g butter - cold
- 200ml water
- 50g freeze-dried apples
- 2 tbsp cherry jam
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 100g sugar
- Pinch salt
- 250g peeled, chopped cooking apples
- Oil for frying
- Mix together the flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Dip the butter into the flour, then grate on a large grater into the bowl of flour.
- Keep adding flour to the butter and grater to stop the butter sticking together in a mound.
- Mix the grated butter through the flour, then add enough cold water to bring it together.
- Roughly shape it into a flat rectangle then wrap it in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Blitz the freeze dried apples to a powder in a food processor.
- Put the butter, golden syrup, lemon juice, sugar, spice and salt into a saucepan and warm gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the chopped apples and cook for 5 minutes, or until the apples are beginning to soften.
- Add the cherry jam and cook for 2 more minutes, then add the powdered apple, take off the heat and let it cool.
- Roll the pastry out to 4mm thick, and cut it into six 15 x 12cm rectangles.
- Put 2 tbsp of apple and cherry filling on one long side of each pastry rectangle. Fold the pastry over and seal the edges with water and by crimping with a fork.
- Cover with cling film and chill for 30 minutes.