Merguez Corn Dogs
Merguez corn dogs are your new favourite fairground treat you can make at home!
- 12 Merguez sausages
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1L veg oil (enough to fit a heavy duty pot)
- 1 tbsp Harissa
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Pre cook the sausages in a hot pan or in the oven, remembering to drain them before applying the batter.
- Slide the sausages onto wooden skewers. Whisk together dry ingredients, then stir in the milk and egg until smooth. Transfer the batter into a large glass.
- Heat the oil to 180 degrees in a heavy duty pot.
- Dip the sausages into the batter until it is completely coated, then place into the hot oil to fry until golden brown. Do not overcrowd the fryer or pot. Use your tongs to turn the corn dogs to ensure an even colour.
- Drain on paper towels and continue to fry the remaining sausages.
- Mix the Harissa paste and mayonnaise together to serve alongside the corn dogs.