Michelle Obama's Shortbread
Michelle Obama, a future president? Well, these shortbread biscuits deserve to be back in office, at least!
- 360 grams unsalted butter
- 300 grams caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 360 grams plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Adapted from food.com
- Heat oven to 170°C. Line a 17 x 12 x 1 inch baking tray with nonstick foil.
- Cream together butter and 300 grams caster sugar, and then add egg yolks, beating mixture until smooth.
- Beat in Amaretto and zest, before stirring in flour and salt.
- Spread dough evenly into tray, making it smooth and flat as possible.
- Brush top of dough with egg white; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake at 170°C for 25 minutes or until brown.
- Turn off oven and allow shortbread to sit in oven, with door ajar, for 15 minutes. Cut while slightly warm.