- 255 grams unsalted butter
- 545 grams plain flour
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 50 grams vegetable shortening
- Pinch salt
- 100 milliliters ice water
- 2 (410 grams jars of mincemeat
- Egg wash
- In a stand mixer, add the butter, flour, sugar, salt and shortening, and mix on low until it reaches a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Slowly pour in the ice water until the mixture just starts to clump together. Split the dough in 2, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Once chilled, roll out one of the pastry doughs to the thickness of a pound coin and roll this over your tray, leaving 1/2 inch hanging over the edge.
- Fill the middle with the mincemeat and set in the fridge.
- Roll out the second dough into a rectangle the size of the pie dish, and cut out star shapes with a cookie cutter, keeping the cut-outs to one side.
- Lay this piece of dough over top of the tray and crimp the excess from the bottom layer over the top to seal everything together. Add on the star cuts-outs from earlier.
- Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Cover the pie with egg wash and sprinkle caster sugar on top. Bake at 180°F for 30-35 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool before serving.