Mini Broken Heart Doughnuts
These heart-shaped, jam filled doughnuts are the most adorable sugary treat!
- 1 sachet of dried yeast
- 50 grams caster sugar, plus extra for coating
- 160 milliliters whole milk
- 50 grams unsalted butter, melted
- 240 grams plain flour
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon freeze dried raspberries
- Warm the milk so it's tepid, not hot. In a measuring jug add about 1/3 of the milk with all the yeast, and 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Give it a mix and set aside until it starts to bubble.
- In a freestanding mixer bowl, add in the flour, the rest of the sugar and the salt. Make a well in the middle and add in the yeast mix, the rest of the milk, the egg and the melted butter.
- Knead for about 10 minutes or until the dough is silky and smooth. Leave in a warm place to double in size, this should take about 45 minutes.
- Knock the dough back and then cut into hearts with a heart-shaped cutter.
- Leave for its second prove for about 30 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Whilst you are waiting for this, heat the oil to frying temperature.
- Once the doughnuts are ready carefully place in the fryer for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden and puffy.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen towel. Once they are cool enough to hold fill the doughnut with jam using a syringe or a squeezy bottle. To make it easier, poke a hole before you fill.
- You should be able to feel when the doughnuts are full.
- Blitz together the extra sugar and the freeze dried raspberries to make a pink dust. Roll the doughnuts in the dust and break those hearts in two!