Mini Sorting Hat Cakes
Perfect treat for all the Harry Potter fan. Mini Sorting Hat Cakes. Take a bite to see which house you are in.
- 125 grams butter
- 300 grams caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 300 grams plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 milliliters whole milk
- Red, green, blue and yellow gel food colour
- 450 grams Icing sugar
- 150 grams unsalted butter
- 35-40 milliliters whole milk
- Chocolate fondant
- In a large bowl beat together the sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time making sure they are well incorporated after each addition.
- Sift over the flour, baking powder and salt and beat until the mixture almost comes together. Pour in the vanilla extract and milk and beat until well combined making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Once the mixture is smooth, evenly divide it into four bowls and add colour. One red, one green, one blue and one yellow for the different houses.
- Add coloured mixture into cupcake cases and bake in a pre-heated oven at 190°C for 18-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave on a wire rack until cool.
- For the buttercream sift the icing sugar into a bowl and beat it into the butter. Once sandy pour in the milk to combine. You may not need to add all the milk.
- Beat for a good 5 minutes until the icing is paler in colour and is light and fluffy.
- Crumble each coloured cupcake into separate bowls and add a dollop of buttercream. Mix until evenly combined and the mixture holds its shape when squeezed. You may need to add more butter cream.
- Shape mixture into a hat shape and place them onto a baking tray. Place in the fridge to firm up.
- Roll out the chocolate fondant and cut out strips. Cover each hat in the fondant, cutting away the excess fondant on the sides. Twist the top of the fondant and bend it over. Use a cookie cutter to cut a circle out of the fondant for the bottom of the hat. Wet the fondant and place the cake on top.
- Use a toothpick to create indents for the face and to make the hat look old and wrinkled. Finish the hats off with a dusting of gold dust and leave until the hats have set then they are ready to enjoy :D