Mint Chocolate Eclairs
These eclairs elevate mint choc chip ice cream to a whole new level!
- 75 grams butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 50 grams plain flour
- 50 grams strong bread flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg, beaten (to glaze)
- 300 milliliters double cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 100 grams plain chocolate chips, roughly chopped
- 200 grams white fondant
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180oC. Line a large baking tray with parchment.
- Place the butter, salt, sugar and 125 milliliters of water into a small saucepan over a medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil, and when all the butter has melted, add the flour and vigorously beat the mixture with a wooden spoon until a smooth ball of dough forms.
- Keep the pan on the heat and stir rapidly for a further minute. Tip the dough into a bowl and leave it to cool until it has stopped steaming. If the dough hasn't cooled properly when you add the egg, it will scramble.
- Beat the eggs together briefly in a small jug. Add the eggs into the cooled dough in 3 separate additions, beating well in between each one. You might not need to add all the egg - when you are adding the final amount you want to add just enough so it falls of the spoon and leaves a 'v' shape. Spoon into a large piping bag fitted with an open star nozzle.
- Line a ruler up next to the baking tray and pipe 12 x 10 centimeters eclairs onto the tray, making sure to leave enough space between each one for them to expand during baking. Use a wet finger to smooth over any bumps. Glaze each éclair with the egg using a pastry brush.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and then turn the oven off and leave the eclairs to dry out and cool completely in the oven. They should be golden brown and well risen.
- Whip the cream, mint extract, icing sugar and food colouring into soft peaks and then carefully fold through the chopped chocolate chips. Spoon into a piping bag.
- To make the glaze, melt the fondant, cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of water in a wide saucepan until smooth.