- 200 grams Plain flour
- 45 grams Cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 100 grams Soft light brown sugar
- 180 grams Caster sugar
- 80 grams Unsalted butter
- 240 milliliters Whole milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 450 grams Icing sugar
- 150 grams Unsalted butter
- 35-40 milliliters Whole milk
- 500 milliliters Double cream
- 500 grams Chocolate, finely chopped (I use a mix of milk & dark)
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat together the butter and two sugars until creamy.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl/jug whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add 1/2 of the wet ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on a slow/medium speed slowly adding all of the dry ingredients.
- Scrape down your bowl and beat in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Once the mixture is smooth, evenly divide it between two 8inch round cake tins.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cut both cooled cakes into a yin yang symbol. I like folding an 8 inch circle of baking paper in half and half again and drawing an elongated "S" through the middle point.
- Cut out the template and place it on top of your first cake to guide you when cutting.
- Flip over one of the halves to form the moustache shape.
- Top with buttercream, cut the second cake and place them on top. Apply a crumb coat all over the cake and smooth the chilled and set ganache over the sides of the cake.
- Run a folk through to create the effect of hair.
- Add remaining ganache into a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe along the top of the cake keeping to the shape of the moustache.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add the butter and half the milk and beat until sandy.
- Add the remaining milk and beat for a good 5 minutes until the icing is paler in colour and is light and fluffy.
- Heat the double cream in a saucepan over medium heat until hot but not boiling stirring continuously.
- Place chocolate into a bowl and pour over hot cream.
- Stir until smooth and glossy.
- Leave to cool and then set in the fridge.