Mulled Apple Juice
The only acceptable way to drink apple juice at Christmas time!
- 6 sweetened apples, reserving a couple of slices for garnish if you fancy
- 2 Bramley apples
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 tablespoons Soft brown sugar
- 4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 2 clementines
- 1 vanilla pod
- Whole nutmeg for grating
- Cinnamon powder for decoration, optional
- Start by making the apple juice. Cut the apples into quarters, core and all, and place in a large pan with 600 milliliters of water. Bring to the boil and add in the sugar.
- After about 20 minutes mash the apples with a potato masher. Once the apples are completely softened, sieve into another medium pan, watering down if needed. Add in the juice of one of the clementines and its peel, a cinnamon stick, the cloves and the star anise. Cut the vanilla pod open and all to the pan. Let this fuse, stirring occasionally. Grate in some nutmeg.
- Once hot and fused, pass through a sieve into a glass. Add a spoonful of the leftover pulp. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and peelings of the other clementines and a slice of apple if you fancy.