Okonomiyaki is the Japanese pancake packed full of all your favourite treats!
- Pork belly/bacon slices
- 6 prawns
- 2 eggs
- 100g flour
- 30g yam flour
- 1 tsp dashi powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Tempura scraps
- 1 tsp bonito
- 160ml water
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 250g shredded pointed cabbage
- 50g raw potato, grated
- 1 tsp Japanese red pickled ginger, finely sliced
- Oil for frying
- Kewpie mayonnaise
- Okonomiyaki sauce
- Anori / seaweed flakes
- Bonito flakes
- Mix the okonomiyaki flour and yam flour with 160ml water, then beat in 2 eggs.
- Add the shredded cabbage, spring onions and raw potato - mix gently.
- Heat a small cast iron pan and add a teaspoon of fat.
- Gently spoon half of the batter into the pan and cook for three minutes.
- Add rashers of pork and prawns to the top of the pancake then carefully flip it over in the pan.
- Cover the pan for 5 minutes then remove the lid and flip the pancake for a second time.
- After two minutes, transfer the pancake to a plate and serve with okonomiyaki sauce, Japanese mayonnaise, anori seaweed flakes and bonito.