Onion Rings 2 Ways
Elevating a simple side of onion rings two ways, first with a cheese stuffing and second with a delicious homemade guacamole filling
- Yellow onion
- Sliced mozzarella
- 1/2 red onion
- 1-2 tablespoons coriander
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato, seeded
- 1 lime
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 green chilli
- 80 grams plain flour, sifted
- 1 large egg
- 125 milliliters whole milk
- Sour cream
- Chives, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- For the guacamole, add a tablespoon of red onion and coriander into a pestle and mortar and crush to release flavours. Add avocados and mash until desired consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix together with remaining onion and coriander, tomato, chilli and season with salt & pepper.
- To add a bit of zing to the guacamole squeeze over lime juice. This also helps to keep it fresh and stop it going brown. Make sure to taste and season as needed.
- Cut both ends off the onion and peel off the outer skin. Cut onion into 4-5 slices. Separate slices into individual rings.
- Wedge mozzarella in between two rings of onion. The outer ring will need to be larger than the inner ring. Fill the smaller rings with guacamole. Place all onion rings onto a baking tray and place in the freezer for 1 hour to set.
- In a bowl whisk the flour, egg and milk together until it forms a smooth batter. Leave to rest until needed.
- Dip the frozen rings into the batter before coating in breadcrumbs. Fry at 180C for 2-4 minutes until golden. Once fried transfer to a cooling rack with kitchen roll to drain off the excess oil.
- For the dip, combine sour cream with chopped chives. Season with salt and pepper and stir until combined! Enjoy :D