Orange Soda Poke Cake
Inspired by my favourite childhood TV program an Orange Soda Poke Cake
- Vanilla cake:
- 300 grams caster sugar
- 125 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 3 medium eggs
- 300 grams plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 100 milliliters whole milk
- 200 milliliters orange soda (Fanta)
- 11/2 packs jelly cubes (200g)
- Up to 300 milliliters boiling water
- To decorate:
- 400-600 milliliters double cream
- Sifted icing sugar, to taste,
- Orange sprinkles
- Orange sweets/ fresh orange
- In a large bowl beat together the caster sugar and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time making sure they are well combined after each addition.
- Sift over the flour, salt and baking powder and beat until almost combined. Pour over the milk and continue mixing. Scrape down the bowl to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Pour in the orange soda and mix until combined. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking tray lined with baking paper and place into a pre-heated oven at 190C for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Leave sponge to cool slightly before poking holes all over the sponge using a bamboo stick.
- Break jelly into cubes and place them into a heat proof bowl. Pour over the boiling water and stir until the jelly cubes have all dissolved. Leave to cool slightly before pouring evenly over the poked sponge.
- Allow the sponge to cool to room temperature before covering with tin foil and leaving in the fridge over night.
- To make the sweetened cream, whip up the double cream to soft peaks adding in enough icing sugar to desired sweetness. Spread over the chilled sponge and decorate with sprinkles and sliced orange. Enjoy :D