Pac-Man Dim Sum
Dim Sum inspired by your favourite retro game... Pac Man!
- 50g wheat starch
- 50g tapioca starch
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp melted lard
- 160ml boiling water
- 20 prawns - peeled, washed and dried
- 50g bamboo shoot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt for marinating
- 3/4 tsp salt for seasoning
- 1 tsp sugar
- 5g corn starch
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp melted lard
- Mix all the dry ingredients for the dough, then pour in boiling water (it must be boiling!) and mix quickly.
- Add the oil, which should bring the dough together, then knead until soft and silky. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it stand while you prepare the filling.
- Clean and devein the shrimps. Marinade in salt for 5 minutes then wash under running water and dry.
- Chop the prawns and bamboo shoots into small pieces, then add the seasoning ingredients (salt, sugar, corn starch, ground white pepper, Shaoxing wine and sesame oil) and mix through.
- Roll the dough into a long cylinder and cut into 15 pieces.
- Oil your hands, board and rolling pin.
- Keep the rest of the dough covered while you roll one piece into a circle.
- Add a spoonful of filling to this wrapper, then shape - folding the wrapper in the har gow style.
- Repeat until you have used up the dough or filling.
- Place the dumplings in the bamboo steamer and steam for 6 minutes, then serve immediately.