Pandan Chicken & Rice
Pandan Chicken & Rice is a healthy and delicious way to mix up your mid-week dinners!
- 500g skinless chicken thighs
- 12-15 pieces (1 leaf per chicken piece) pandan leaf
- 1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- Oil for deep frying
- 200g jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 150ml coconut milk
- 150ml cold water
- Pinch salt
- 2 pandan leaves, rinsed and dried
- In a bowl, mix together the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, garlic, chopped ginger and coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Put the chicken into a mixing bowl with the marinade, and chill for four hours.
- After marinating, wrap each chicken thigh in a pandan leaf, securing with a cocktail stick.
- Heat a splash of sesame oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the chicken thighs for 5 - 7 minutes on each side. When they are nearly done, add a splash of water to the pan and cover with a lid to steam the chicken thighs and make sure they are cooked all the way through.
- Serve with the pandan rice and some of the pan juices drizzled over the top.
- Pandan coconut rice: tie the pandan leaves into a knot.
- Put the rice into a saucepan. Add the coconut milk, water and pinch of salt.
- Add the pandan leaf knot and bring to the boil.
- Once it boils, reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes - quickly fluff up the rice then return the lid to the pan.
- Turn off the heat and leave covered for 20 minutes, then serve.