- 200 milliliters sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 300 grams self-raising flour
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 300 grams caster sugar
- 375 grams parsnips, finely grated
- 4 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- For the icing:
- 75 grams butter, softened
- 300 grams full-fat cream cheese
- 150 grams icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease two 20 centimeters loose-bottomed round cake tins and line the base with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl. Add the sugar and grated parsnips, then stir until well combined. Stir in the beaten eggs and oil, then mix well.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack, leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool completely before icing.
- For the icing, beat the butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer until really soft. Add the cream cheese and beat again until well mixed. Sift over the icing sugar, then beat until smooth.
- Spread half the icing between the cake layers and the other half on top. Decorate with any remaining crumbs.