Chocolate Passion Fruit Cupcakes
Add some passion to your chocolate cupcakes!
- 175 grams caster sugar
- 60 milliliters sunflower oil (any unflavoured oil will do)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 grams plain flour
- 35 grams cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 150 milliliters strong coffee, cooled
- Chocolate ganache:
- 200 grams butter
- 275 grams dark chocolate (60-70 percent cocoa solids), chopped
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 250 milliliters double cream
- 6 passionfruits
- Preheat oven to 170oC and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cases.
- Use a hand whisk to combine the sugar, oil and egg in a large bowl until smooth. Add the vanilla and whisk again.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Add a third of the flour mixture to the egg mixture, followed by half the coffee, beating well after each addition. Repeat until all the flour and coffee are incorporated.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cases, filling each one two thirds full. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, they should be springy to the touch and a skewer should come out clean.
- To make the ganache, place the butter, chocolate and golden syrup into a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water. Stir until the mixture is melted and smooth - about 7-8 minutes.
- Pour in the double cream and mix until combined.
- Scoop the pulp from the passionfruits out into a sieve over a small bowl and press out around 3-4 tablespoons of juice. Don't discard the seeds as these can be used to decorate. Add the juice to the ganache mixture and then whip using an electric whisk until pale brown and thickened.
- Spoon the ganache topping into a piping bag with a closed star nozzle and pipe swirls onto the top of each cooled cupcake. Top with a spoonful of passionfruit pulp and serve.