- 1 whole egg (large)
- 2 egg yolks (large)
- 115 grams golden caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 400 milliliters full fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- Lightly grease a 12 hole muffin tin and pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6.
- Put egg, yolks, sugar & cornflour in a pan and mix well together then gradually add the milk until mixture is well mixed and smooth.
- Place pan on medium heat and stir constantly until mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Put custard in a glass/ceramic bowl to cool and cover with cling film to prevent skin forming.
- Cut pastry sheet into two pieces and place them on top of each other. Roll the pastry tightly, from the short side, into a log and cut the log into 12 even sized rounds.
- On a lightly floured board, roll each round into a disc (approx. 10 centimeters) and press the pastry discs into the muffin tin.
- Spoon in the cooled custard and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden on top. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling although they can be eaten warm.