Have you seen anything cuter? Have fun with the whole family making our sweet and simple Pig Buns. They're perfect for kids birthday parties as well.
- 1 jar strawberry jam
- 1 tbsp instant yeast - 2 x sachets
- 250ml warm milk
- 65g granulated sugar
- 115g butter, well softened
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- Pink food colouring
- 580g plain flour
- Black sesame seeds
- Spoon the jam into 10 holes on an ice cube tray and leave to freeze for at least 4 hours.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the yeast and milk.
- Stir and leave for 5 minutes until you can see bubbles forming in the mixture.
- Add the sugar, butter and eggs, beat in until well mixed then begin to add the flour - about 50 grams at a time to start - and salt.
- Add the flour, about 50 grams at a time, mixing until incorporated.
- The dough will be shaggy and still sticky.
- Add the pink food colouring to get a light pink colour and then leave the dough to knead on a medium speed for about 4 - 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- The length of time needed to rise will depend on how warm the room is.
- When dough is risen, punch dough down with and cut into pieces weighing roughly 85 g.
- Reserve 2 of the pieces of dough for making the ears and noses of the pigs.
- Flatten the remaining into discs and remove the jam from the freezer.
- Place a frozen jam cube in the centre of a disc and bring in the edges to make a ball shape. Repeat with all the dough and jam.
- To make the ears take two small balls of dough and attach them into the main dough ball by dampening the dough slightly. Shape with your index figure and thumb, to make the small ball look like an ear.
- Do the same with the nose, but round it to a nose shape and poke two holes in the small ball with a floured cocktail stick.
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 180 C fan.
- Attach 2 sesame seeds for eyes by dampening the dough where you’ll place the sesame seeds slightly with water then place into the oven to cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving as the jam will be hot.