Pineapple Pad Thai in a Pineapple Bowl
Up your plating game with this pineapple pad thai
- 100g rice noodles
- 1 small pineapple
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp tamarind paste
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp oyster sauce
- Juice of ½ lime
- 50g beansprouts
- To garnish
- 50g toasted peanuts
- 2 spring onions, finely slices
- Red chilli, optional
- ½ lime
- Place the rice noodles in a shallow dish and boil enough water to cover them. Cover with boiling water for 10-15 minutes, then drain.
- Cut the pineapple in half lengthways and carefully cut out the flesh, leaving the pineapple halves as empty as possible and ready to be used as your serving bowls. Chop 150g of the flesh into bite-sized pieces.
- Place a large wok over high heat and add 1 tbsp oil followed by the pineapple. Fry for a couple of minutes moving regularly until a bit softened and a little bit of colour has been caught. Remove from the pan and set aside until later.
- Return the pan to the heat and add a further 1tbsp oil. Add the spring onion, garlic and ginger and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant and cooked through. Add the egg and quickly scramble whilst incorporating the other ingredients. Add the noodles followed by the sauce ingredients, pineapple and beansprouts and toss for a couple of minutes until everything is well mixed together. Finally, quickly mix through ⅔ of the peanuts and some chopped coriander.
- Divide between the pineapple bowls and garnish with the remaining crushed peanuts, spring onions, coriander and optional chilli. Squeeze over some extra lime juice and serve right away.