- 600 grams pork belly, skin removed, sliced and chopped into inch or less cubes
- 12 quails eggs and/ or 4 chicken eggs, hard boiled, peeled
- 3 asian shallots or medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 birds eye chillies, whole
- 400 milliliters of coconut water
- 200 milliliters cider
- 2 tablespoons coconut caramel
- 5 tablespoons premium quality fish sauce to season
- Pinch of black pepper
- Cut the pork belly into bite sized pieces with skin. Hard boil and peel the eggs and set aside.
- Sweat off the shallots in a medium saucepan for about 5 minutes then add half the meat to colour off then the other half. Pour into the saucepan the coconut juice and coconut caramel (for colouring and a smoky flavour). Bring to a gentle boil. Remove scum and season with premium quality fish sauce and a generous pinch of black pepper.
- Add all the eggs to the pot and simmer with the lid on with whole chillies for at least 2 hours.
- Serve with steamed rice. Also delicious with a fried egg.
- If you can not find coconut caramel, melt and caramelise some palm sugar or raw cane sugar for colouring.