Pumpkin Pasties inspired by the Harry Potters books and films!
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (425g) pumpkin puree
- 340ml evaporated milk
- 15g unsalted butter, melted
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp allspice
- sweet shortcrust pastry
- milk/egg wash
- caster sugar
- Beat together the eggs and caster sugar until well combined.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree followed by the evaporated milk and melted butter.
- Add the salt and spices and mix.
- Pour into an 11 x 7-inch brownie tin and bake at 200ºC for 25-30 minutes. Once baked leave to cool completely.
- Roll out pastry 2-3mm thick and cut out rounds. I use a small tart tin which is 10cm in diameter. Re-roll the pastry to get more circles but never re-roll more than once.
- Add a spoonful of the cooled pumpkin mixture into the centre of each pastry round and slightly spread it out.
- Lift up one end of the pastry and fold it over to meet the other edge. Press the pastry together with your fingers before securing it shut by pressing a fork all around the edge.
- Use a sharp knife to cut 3 small slits into the top of each pastie, I like to cut my middle one to look like Harry Potter's scar. These slits will help the steam release.
- Brush each pasty with the egg/milk wash before sprinkling over some sugar.
- Bake them in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool slightly and then enjoy :D