Rainbow Vertical Layer Cake
We're celebrating all thing rainbow with this epic vertical layer cake! Check out our easy hack for making each cake the perfect size!
- 2 packets boxed vanilla cake mix (made as per box instructions)
- 6 extra eggs
- Gel food colourings
- 1kg buttercream
- Sprinkles, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190C (170 C fan). Line 4 Swiss roll tins with lightly greased foil, and pinch a raised fold halfway across, to split the tin into two longer strips.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the boxed cake mixes with the ingredients as listed in the instructions on the box, along with 6 extra eggs. Whisk until light and fluffy. Your mixture will weigh around 2 kilos, and each tin will take 500 grams in its 2 segments, so divide the mixture into the right amount of bowls and colour them as you wish. We used 6 bowls with different amounts of mixture in each: 500g purple, 500g blue, 500g green, 250g yellow, 150g orange, 100g red
- Tip your coloured batters into the foil segments. For the middle of the cake you can put red and yellow into the same segment, using a spoon to get a straight edge between the two colours. Spread the batters out smoothly then bake for 10-12 minutes until firm to the touch.
- When the sponges have fully cooled, tip them onto baking paper and, starting from the middle (red), fill with buttercream and roll them up - taking out the baking paper as you go. Once the cake is assembled, transfer it to a serving plate or stand and coat it a crumb coating of buttercream. Let this chill for 2 hours, then coat with another layer of buttercream and top with sprinkles, then serve.