Red Wine Chocolate Tart
Out decadent chocolate tart has a secret ingredient... Red wine! This boozy dessert is perfect for a special occasion or a gift for someone special.
- 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 25g cocoa powder
- 25g icing sugar
- 175g very cold butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsps iced water
- 2 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cocoa, plus extra to dust
- 200ml merlot
- 300ml double cream
- 1 x 200g jar of cherry jam
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and icing sugar into the bowl of a food processor, add the butter and a pinch of sea salt, then pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of iced water and pulse again, until the dough comes together.
- Tip out onto a floured surface and bring it together with your hands. Wrap it in clingfilm and chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry so it’s large enough to line a 22cm loose-bottomed tart pan. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 8 minutes, then remove paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes until dry. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl and sift in the cornflour, cinnamon and cocoa. Gently whisk together until combined, but not frothy. Add the wine and 200ml cream, and stir well until combined.
- Spread a layer of cherry jam onto the bottom of the tart shell and then pour the chocolate filling over the top - you may find this easier to do near the oven so you don’t have to carry the filled tart case very far!
- Bake the tart for 20-25 minutes or until just set, then remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 100ml cream to soft peaks.
- Dust the top of the tart thickly with cocoa, then slice and serve with the whipped cream.