Roasted Root Vegetable and Farro Salad
Winterize salad with hearty grains. This Roasted Root Vegetable & Farro Salad will keep you fueled and filled through the winter season.
- 4 small golden beets, scrubbed, quartered
- 2 medium multi colored carrots, scrubbed, sliced in half and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium parsnip, scrubbed, sliced in half and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 shallots, quartered
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup pearled farro, rinsed
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette (store-bought or homemade)
- Juice of 1 meyer lemon
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup shelled and salted pistachios , chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed sheet tray with foil.
- Add beets, carrots, parsnips and shallots to the sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss all together with hands. Roast until tender and golden, about 25- 30 minutes. Stir halfway through roasting.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the farro to a large saucepan of boiling salted water. Cook until tender but still chewy, about 10-15 minutes (depending on brand). Drain well in a colander.
- In a small bowl whisk balsamic vinaigrette with meyer lemon juice, set aside until ready to use.
- Add farro to a large serving bowl, toss in the roasted vegetables, arugula.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette and toss all together. Top with pistachios, cranberries and feta. Serve room temperature.