Rocky Road Cake
Rocky Road Cake combines double chocolate brownies, rocky road AND marshmallow fluff. Winning.
- 225g plain flour, sifted
- 350g caster sugar
- 85g cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 250ml cold coffee
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped
- 250g milk chocolate, chopped
- 100g unsalted butter
- 200g malted milk biscuits, roughly broken
- 100g mini marshmallows
- 100g mixed nuts - hazelnuts, almonds and macadamias all work well
- 100g malteasers, roughly broken up
- 1 tub of marshmallow fluff
- 200ml whipped cream
- Extra mini marshmallows
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas 4. Grease the base and sides of 2 x 20cm loose bottomed round cake tins.
- Put the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl and give it all a whisk.
- Put the milk, eggs and oil into a jug and whisk until they are combined. Add to the dry mix and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Mix the boiling water and coffee powder together then pour into the batter. Mix thoroughly and then pour the batter evenly between the prepared cake tins and bake on the middle shelf for 20 - 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in the tin. Once cool, flatten the tops with a serrated knife and place back into the tins.
- Prepare the rocky road by putting the two chocolates and the butter into a glass bowl and melting over a bain-marie until smooth.
- Add the biscuits, marshmallows, and nuts, and mix well until everything is coated.
- Pour the mixture all over the cooled cake and spread out until the whole cake is covered. Place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Once cool, turn one cake out onto a cake stand or serving plate.
- Spread the marshmallow fluff over the top of the cake and place the second cake on top.
- Decorate with piped cream rosettes, extra mini marshmallows and a dusting of icing sugar.