Sailor Moon Pie
Moon pies inspired by one of our favourite Saturday morning cartoons.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces marshmallow creme
- 16 ounces pink candy melts
- 1/3 cup yellow candy melts
- 1/4 cup red, blue, green, and orange candy melts
- In a mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, cinnamon, honey, and vanilla. Sift in the flours, baking soda, and salt. Once combined, add milk and mix, just until a slightly sticky mass forms.
- Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead into ball. Flatten into a disc, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thin layer. Cut out rounds with a 3-inch cookie cutter. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of marshmallow creme onto one cookie, and sandwich with another cookie. Chill the sandwiched cookies for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt each candy color in separate bowls at 30-second intervals, while mixing each time until fully melted. Transfer to small plastic storage bags.
- Dip to coat each moon pie in the melted pink candy and set aside on a rack. Once all the moon pies are coated and slightly hardened, cut the tips of the colored candy bags and draw the Sailor Moon Crystal Star design on the surfaces.