Salt and Pepper Three Ways
Salt and pepper is a takeaway favourite but here are three awesome ways to make it at home!
- 350g small cleaned squid, bodies and tentacles
- 6 baby aubergine, split lengthways
- 1 pack firm tofu
- 4 tbsp black peppercorns
- 4 tbsp sichuan peppercorns
- 4 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 300g potato flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 10 spring onions
- 3 large red chillies, sliced
- 2 x garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- Dry roast the peppercorns, then crush in a pestle and mortar along with the salt - put 1 tbsp aside.
- Mix the rest with the potato flour, then set that aside.Squid/aubergine/tofu
- Dip in seasoned flour, egg, then flour again.
- Fry at 180C until lightly browning, and remove, be careful not to over-cook.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Fry the spring onions in 1 tbsp oil for 1-2 minutes, until starting to brown.
- Add the garlic and chilli, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the oyster and soy sauces, stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes until turning sticky.
- Serve on top of the salt and pepper dishes, with a squeeze of fresh lime.