Savoury Tropical Mince Pie
What happens when you combine a Nigerian meat pie with a British mince pie?
- Flour (all-purpose) 375g
- Unsalted Butter (diced) 260g
- Caster Sugar 125g
- Egg (large) 2ea (1 beaten)
- Salt 1/4 teaspoon
- Mango (firm, diced) 1ea
- Pineapple (diced) 20g
- Dark brown sugar 1/4 c
- Ground Beef (lean) 600g
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Allspice 1/2 teaspoon
- Nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon
- Tangerine (chopped) 2ea
- Lemon (zest) 1ea
- Ginger (grated) 1/4 teaspoon
- Heat oven to 180C
- Combine flour, butter and rob together, don't overmix. Then add in sugar, salt and 1 egg
- Knead dough until it just comes together into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic and keep refrigerated for 20min
- Heat up a medium sauté pan, add mangoes and pineapple and cook until they brown.
- To the caramelized fruits add sugar and allow to melt with the fruits. Then add beef, salt, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Cook for 3-5min and allow mincemeat to cool.
- Add tangerine, lemon zest and ginger to the mix
- Divide dough into 60 grams balls, flatten and line the bottom of muffin trays with them.
- Scoop in the mincemeat, and top with another cutout circle of the dough. Brush with egg
- Bake mince pies for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow it to cool, then dust with powdered sugar