This Middle-Eastern staple is perfect for brunch, linner or dinfest.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium brown oniont, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups ripe diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chill powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Heat a deep sauté pan on medium. Slowly warm olive oil in the pan. Add chopped onion, sauté for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add garlic and continue to sauté till mixture is fragrant.
- Add the bell pepper, sauté for 5 minutes over medium until softened. Add tomatoes and tomato paste to pan, stir till blended. Add spices and sugar, stir well, and allow mixture to simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes untill it starts to reduce. Season with salt, pepper, sugar and cayenne pepper.
- Crack the eggs, one at a time, directly over the tomato mixture, making sure to space them evenly over the sauce.
- Cover the pan. Allow mixture to simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked and the sauce has slightly reduced. Cook longer if you want the eggs well done.