Hilah heads to Port Aransas on the Texas Gold Coast to check out some local eats and learn how to make a proper Texas shrimp boil.
- 2 pounds of large shrimp.
- 12 ounces smoked sausage
- 12 ounces beer (Lone Star if you can get it)
- 1 lemon
- 8 cloves garlic
- 5 dried chilis
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 bag of shrimp boil seasoning (we used Zataran's)
- 8-10 red potatoes
- 3 ears or corn
- Combine 2 quarts of water and 12 ounces of beer in a large stockpot.
- Add lemon, garlic, potatoes, chilis, salt and seasoning bag to the liquid and bring to a boil.
- Cover and boil for 10 minutes then add shucked, halved corn and sausage.
- Cover and boil for an additional 5 minutes then place shrimp in the top of the pot.
- Cover and steam for 2 minutes, then turn off heat and let sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper and serve.