Slow Cooker Achiote Ribs
It's time to slow down with ribs slow-cooked in banana leaves. They're marinated and cooked for hours in a earthy, spicy, citrus blend. Bonus: tequila is involved.
- 4 pounds pork spareribs
- 5 tablespoons achiote (annatto seeds)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Banana leaves
- In a skillet on medium-low heat, toast all the spices, except the oregano, for about 5 minutes or until fragrant. Allow to slightly cool and transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Grind into a powder.
- In a blender, combine the citrus juices, garlic, oregano, ground spices, and salt.
- Cover the ribs with the mixture, and let marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Line a slow-cooker or roasting pan with banana leaves. Place the ribs and marinade inside, and cover with another banana leaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. If roasting in an the oven, cook at 325F for 4 hours.
- 6. Remove ribs from the slow cooker and transfer to a banana leaf-lined baking sheet. Broil for about 6-8 min, or until the surface is browned.