Smoked Aubergine & Pepper Salad
here's a great hack for getting that true smokey flavour in our aubergine salad!
- 3 x large aubergine
- 4 x long red peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100ml olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 75ml pomegranate molasses
- Seeds from one large pomegranate
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- Large bunch parsley
- Small bunch mint
- Cook the aubergines and peppers over the naked flame of a gas hob, turning them with tongs, until they are black and blistered.
- When done, put the peppers and aubergines into separate food bags to help steam the skins away from the flesh. Let them cool like this for about 20 minutes.
- When the peppers are cool enough to handle, slip and scrape the charred skins away from the flesh. Split the pepper lengthwise and remove the stalk and seeds.
- Split the aubergine lengthways and pull out the flesh, leaving the cooked skin behind.
- Get rid of the stalks and skins from the aubergines and peppers, then roughly chop the flesh from both.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, garlic, cinnamon and allspice.
- Add most of the pomegranate seeds and chopped herbs - keeping some back to add at the end - to with the aubergine and peppers.
- Mix through, then transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with extra molasses, then top with the remaining herbs and seeds.
- Serve alongside hot flatbread and dips.