Spice Crusted Beef
Chef Turland takes a surf trip to Narrabeen and cooks up an amazing spice-crusted beef roast on the beach.
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 2 cloves
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 3 kilograms beef Angus beef scotch fillet
- 1 red capsicum
- 2 carrots
- 1 fennel
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons balsamic
- Sea salt
- Place all spices and salt into a pan and toast till aromatic about 5 min.
- Transfer spices to mortar and pestle and grind till smooth powder had formed. Store in dark dry place
- With a knife make 1 centimeter thick slices in beef to help flavour and spice crust penetrate meat
- Place spice crust in a flat surface and roll beef in mix till it's all covered.
- Place in fridge for 12-14 hours to marinate for best result
- Clean and slice veg season with salt and pepper and place on the BBQ.
- With a knife stab sweet potato to make wholes.
- Place sweet potato on foil, and add rosemary, garlic, sea salt and balsamic vinegar.
- Fold the edges of foil up to completely wrap sweet potato.
- Place in BBQ on Medium heat.
- Next to the sweet potato place the spice-crusted beef in BBQ and leave for 20min with lid down before turning. The beef and sweet potato should take approx. 1 hour in a medium BBQ.