Spring Onion Pancakes With Ginger Dipping Sauce
Bet you've never made pancakes like this before!
- For the Pancakes:
- 260g flour, plus extra for dusting work surface
- 235ml boiling water
- 8 spring onions, green part only - thinly sliced
- 60g salted butter
- For the Dipping Sauce:
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely sliced spring onion greens
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp sugar
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Place flour in bowl of food processor. With processor running, slowly drizzle in about 3/4 of the boiling water. Process for 15 seconds. If dough does not come together and ride around the blade, drizzle in more water a tablespoon at a time until it just comes together.
- Transfer to a floured work surface and knead a few times to form a smooth ball. Transfer to a bowl, cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap, and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature, or up to overnight in the fridge.
- Divide dough into four even pieces and roll each into a smooth ball. Working one ball at a time, roll out into an oval on a lightly floured surface. Using a pastry brush, paint a very thin layer of butter over the top of the dough. Roll the oval up from the short end. When your nearly reach the end, fold the edges in to seal and then finish rolling up.
- You will now have a sausage shaped cylinder of dough. Turn it so that the cylinder is vertical, and flatten gently with your hand. Repeat this process once more and continue with the remaining pancakes.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients and set aside at room temperature. Heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat until shimmering and carefully slip a pancake into the hot oil. Cook, shaking the pan gently until first side is an even golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully flip with a spatula or tongs and continue to cook, shaking pan gently, until second side is even golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Season with salt, cut into 4 wedges. Serve immediately with sauce for dipping. Repeat with remaining 3 pancakes.