Spring Vegetable Quiche
Packed with veggies and eggy goodness, this crispy quiche is perfect for brunch ... or whenever!
- 2 cups flour
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup leeks, white part only, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 bunch white beech mushrooms
- 5 stalks asparagus, shaved into long ribbons
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pulse the flour, sugar, baking powder, black pepper and butter in a food processor until it resembles fine crumbs. Pulse in the ice water a tablespoon at a time until the dough begins to come together. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and compress into a disc. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to fit your pan of choice. Place the dough sheet into the pan, allowing the excess to drape over the edges. Press the dough into the sides and edges. Trim off the excess dough.
- Line the quiche shell with parchment paper and fill with dry beans or pie weights. Bake for 35 minutes until the edges begin to brown. Remove the parchment and beans. Set aside to cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F.
- Beat the eggs and half-and-half. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Sauté the leeks, peas, mushrooms and asparagus together with a pinch of salt for about 6 minutes until tender. Cool slightly.
- Spread the vegetable mixture in the quiche shell evenly and then pour over the egg mixture. Bake for 30 minutes.