- 2 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 pack of toffee or caramels
- gel food colour
- piping bag
- In a clean bowl, beat together the egg whites and salt until the mixture is stiff.
- Continue to beat while adding the caster sugar a tablespoon at a time until the meringue turns glossy, shiny and stiff. If using food colouring, beat in the gel food colour until evenly combined.
- Trim off the end of the piping bag and add your chosen piping tip. Turn the bag inside out and paint strips of gel food colour using a clean paint brush, this will create a pretty effect when piped (optional). Turn the piping bag back the right way and spoon in the meringue mixture.
- Pipe a small drop of meringue onto a baking tray lined with baking paper before placing a toffee/caramel on top. Pipe some more meringue around the toffee/caramel and swirl it up until it is covered. Repeat with the rest of the meringue mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 120ºC for 1 hour until dry and crisp. You should be able to pick them off the baking paper without them sticking. Leave to cool on a wire rack, enjoy :D