Strawberry Meringue Roll
We've combined a pavlova and a swiss roll to make your ultimate fruity dessert! This strawberry meringue roll is a sure crowd pleaser!
- 75g strawberries
- 25g caster sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- Pink food colouring
- 300g strawberries, 200g roughly chopped, 100g, halved
- 1 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 300ml double cream
- Squirty cream, to serve
- Place the strawberries and sugar into a saucepan set over a medium heat and stir until the mixture comes to the boil and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and pass through a fine sieve, then set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 160 C, fan 140C, gas 3. Line a Swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks in the bowl of a stand mixer, then gradually add the sugar until you have a smooth, glossy mixture. Beat in the cornflour and vinegar.
- Divide the meringue into three. Leave one bowl white then colour the second bowl light pink and the third bowl a slightly darker pink.
- Add the meringue in thirds along the tin then spread the meringue out evenly. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes then leave to cool in its tin for 5 minutes. Put a large sheet of baking paper on the worktop and dust with icing sugar. Turn the meringue out onto the paper and peel back the lining paper, then leave to cool.
- Mix the roughly chopped strawberries with the elderflower cordial and whip the cream with the icing sugar until fairly firm. Spread with meringue with the cream, leaving a 2cm border free along one short side. Dot the coulis around on top of the cream and swirl into the cream with a cocktail stick. Spoon the strawberries evenly over the cream.chilled, to decorate the top.
- Using the paper to help you, roll up the meringue like a Swiss roll, towards the cream-free short side. Leave the meringue wrapped up in its paper and place in the fridge to firm up for 2 hours before serving.
- To serve, unwrap the meringue and transfer to a serving platter. Squirt some cream along the top of the meringue and top with the halved strawberries. Serve in slices.