Thai Style Whole Fried Fish
Here's the easy way to fry a whole fish for a perfect result!
- 2 sea bream, gutted and scaled, head and tail left on
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Ginger, spring onion, garlic
- 100g rice flour
- A small handful of coriander stalks, roughly chopped
- 3 long red chillies, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, bashed and sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100 ml water
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 long red chillis, de-seeded and sliced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 green mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, ribboned
- 1/2 cucumber, ribboned
- 50g crispy onions
- Small bunch coriander leaves
- Small bunch Vietnamese mint leaves
- A small handful of peanuts or cashews
- Oil to deep fry
- Fresh lime wedges, to serve
- Put the fish in a shallow dish and sprinkle the soy and sugar over. Stuff the cavity with some ginger, sliced spring onions and a few bashed garlic cloves, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the sauce, put the coriander roots, chillies, garlic, ginger, shallot, lemongrass and oil into a spice blender and blend to a paste.
- Put the paste into a saucepan and cook for 2 minutes, then add the water, tamarind paste, sugar and fish sauce.
- Reduce the sauce by a third them remove it from the heat.
- Prepare the salad ingredients and mix together.
- Pat the fish dry, then dip them in rice flour until they’re covered.
- Heat oil to 180C.
- Cook the fish, one at a time, for 8 minutes in the hot oil.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve the fish piled with the salad, with the sauce on the side to be spooned over.
- Serve with sticky rice.