The Showdown: Tarts
It's the final episode of season one! Who will create the best tart in your eyes?!
- Base Ingredients:
- 150g pecans
- 150g almonds
- 100g pitted dates
- 1 tbsp of vanilla
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Caramel layer:
- 300g pitted dates
- 150g almond butter
- 10-12 tbsp water
- 10 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 large pinch of salt
- Chocolate top layer:
- 300g 70% dark chocolate
- Heaped teaspoon of coconut oil
- Line a 24cm round non-stick springform cake tin. Base layer: blend the nuts into a flour like consistency in a food processor. Add the dates, vanilla extract and coconut oil until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Press it firmly into the tin, making sure it’s spread out evenly.
- Caramel layer: Put all the ingredients into the blender
- and mix until super smooth - this may take between
- 5-10 mins and you might need extra water. Spread the caramel evenly on the base layer and place in the fridge.
- Chocolate layer: gently melt the chocolate in a bain marie with the coconut oil. Remove from the heat then pour over the caramel layer. Place in the fridge to harden up.
- Top with a dusting of coarse salt and serve with an
- optional scoop of dairy-free ice cream.
- Biscuit Base:
- 250g Digestive Biscuits
- 100g Melted Butter
- Mascarpone Filling:
- 250g Mascarpone
- 50g Caster sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 100ml Double Cream
- To Decorate:
- 400g Fresh Strawberries
- Blitz the biscuits in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Slowly pour in the melted butter. Using a spoon, spread the mixture into a tart tin, pushing it into the base and the sides. Chill in the fridge.
- To make the filling, beat the mascarpone, sugar and vanilla together until combined & fluffy. In a separate bowl whisk the double cream to soft peaks.
- Fold the double cream into the mascarpone mixture and spread it evenly over the hardened biscuit base.
- Hull and slice the strawberries, and lay them around the tart, in a fluted design.